Blogs and social media are ways to drive traffic to a website. My weekly readers know that I have been working with my community, the Sisters of Notre Dame from Chardon, Ohio, to update and expand our web presence. We have launched three Facebook pages and associated Twitter profiles and several new blogs in advance of launching our new website. This website will be the centerpiece of our web presence.
Why launch blogs? Blogs are websites that can serve specific audiences, extend our reach into the digital world and advance the ministries of the sister bloggers. They give us opportunities to interact with more people online, connect them to our main website and promote vocations.
We have launched four blogs in the past few months:
- Prayer Poems Sister Juliemarie McDonald, SND, publishes a weekly poem based on the Sunday’s Gospel reading. The poems are inspirational reading for individuals and can be used by groups for faith sharing on the liturgical readings.
- Sunflower Seeds Sister Melannie Svoboda, SND, reflects on everyday experiences with a spiritual perspective and invites her readers to do the same.
- Catholic Faith Corner Sister Kathleen Glavich, SND, is writing for all Catholics, practicing or not, who seek to know more about the Church and faith; people who are wondering about the Catholic Church; catechists who would like ideas for better lessons; families and individuals looking for ways to live the faith today; and anyone seeking inspiration and hope.
- Living Justly Sister Kathleen Ryan, SND, is writing about working together to build the kingdom of God “on earth as it is in heaven.” Her focus is on justice, peace and integrity of creation.
As these blogs are integral to our community online presence, they have been designed as a family group, using a template that has been customized to the topic and the preferences of the blogger. They all have these components:
- The logo of the Sisters of Notre Dame
- A link to the SND Chardon website
- An ad for vocations
- A list of all SND blogs including those from the other U.S. SND provinces
- Links to the SND Chardon social media sites
The blog posts are being published to our SND Chardon Twitter profile. Our new homepage will feature a live feed from that Twitter profile. Thus these blogs will assure that we are presenting new content automatically on our new, soon to be launched website.
In the near future, Catholic Web Solutions will also have a new design and become part of the SND Chardon family of blogs. Watch for it.