Fr. Robert Barron is one of the most well-known, respected and articulate advocates of the New Evangelization. On March 15, 2014 he spoke at the Los Angeles Religious Education Congress on “Hope to Set the World Afire.” In his talk he offered 7 keys to implementing the New Evangelization.
1) Lead with the beautiful.
2) Don’t dumb down the message!
3) Preach with ardor.
4) Tell the great story.
5) God does not need us. God loves us and wants us to be fully human, fully alive. (Irenaeus)
6) All of us are made for God. (Augustine)
7) Use the new media.
Following up on point 7, what if we applied some of the ideas that Fr. Barron presented about the New Evangelization in general (please view the video to get his meanings), to the specific content and message of our parish websites? Here are a few questions that we could ask:
- Does our website reveal what is beautiful about our faith in a beautiful way?
- Is it apparent from our website that Jesus is the center of our lives and of our community?
- Do we express joy and enthusiasm for our faith through our website content and images?
- Is it clear that we know that God loves everyone, i.e. active members, visitors, new comers and inactive members?
What other questions would you ask? Do you think it is appropriate to extend our efforts in the New Evangelization to websites?
How does your parish view its website? Is it an evangelizing website? Why or why not?
Please share any insights you gained from the video or any comments on my application of it.