Results from the Catholic Web Solutions online survey, “What is Your Ministry’s Next Online Challenge?” which took place from October 28-November 14, revealed that CWS readers are engaged on multiple platforms and looking to improve service on them all. A number of respondents took time to answer the open ended question: In the next six months, what one thing would you like to do or learn to improve your online ministry? I have organized the responses to get a better picture of what is important to CWS readers today.
Greater Engagement/Increased Visits
- Improve our parishioners’ access to online ministry to help increase engagement of parishioners.
- How to use analytics for websites/social media (How to measure if we are reaching the people we are hoping to reach, how to improve our reach)
- Low cost ways to increase viewership
- I would like to find a way to develop more interaction online.
- How I can reach more people through the use of the platforms I am comfortable with (FB & website), and if that’s not possible, how do I learn the new platforms so I can branch out to reach more people.
- I would like to learn how to post or advertise our church ministry events on social media apps.
- I really want to drive more people to our website. We are a Catholic parish with 1700 families and getting only about 225-250 hits/week. The activity has not been what I thought it would be when we launched a new website.
- I like how Tweet Deck will allow me to set up future tweets by dates and times, but does not allow for pictures…while I do set Twitter to feed into my Facebook, I wish I could set up different ‘future’ posts so that all my feeds have something each day (not just days when I have time!) Any ideas?
- Facebook content – deciding what, and when… I feel I need to spend more time posting things more often that I do now.
- I would really like to know about software that can help me to schedule posts for the liturgical season. Facebook pictures that would reflect the readings for the season, such as traveling through Advent… and a posting with a selection of You Tube videos to complement the theme, along with some tweets from Saints that would inspire toward that same theme. Maybe one per week, and a blog entry that would complement it.
- How to best update/change Facebook cover photo and profile picture for the changing seasons and Holy days without going broke buying new photos for this areas. Are there any resources or best practices for this without running into the problem of going broke, “stealing” from someone else, or just going without?
- What to post on Facebook?
- Add video content to our postings.
- Organizing content for Facebook in order to post regularly
- Create a larger Facebook following
- How to use twitter effectively. What hashtags are all about and how to use them effectively?
- How to clean up when you have made a mess of things (currently my twitter feed is a mess… probably need to delete some folks and put others in lists … just do not have the time right now.
- Security issues in social media…how to monitor twitter hashtags and prevent misuse
Blogs, Podcasts, YouTube, Instagram, E-books and Pinterest
- I’d like to learn Instagram and more about the use of Pinterest for my ministry
- Learn more about preparing You Tube content.
- Work on more videos to upload to YouTube
- Learn how to use of Instagram.
- Start pod-casting on our website
- Create e-books
- Our parish is exploring whether or not to use a mobile app
- Create an app
- Learn more about mobile apps
- Help the parishes we serve develop communications plans with their website as the “hub” and all other parish communications integrated.
- Hope to create a workshop for parishes in our diocese for online evangelization/best practices etc. together with our IT department
- Improve current e-newsletter and improve Facebook presence for the diocese
Recruiting Volunteers for Social Media
- I would love to learn how to find “qualified” volunteers to take on some of the social media hats I wear
- I am discerning what to do with my two parish blogs (one for work parish, one for worship parish) – with the real question being, how do we call others to serve in this way? I wish that I had someone that I could hand these off to, a team really. People love to read, but not necessary work behind the scenes.
Parish Website, Website Hosts and Managers
- Our parish has to get a new webmaster. What to look for?
- We are currently seeking a new web host for our website. Our current host will no longer be providing that service.
- Update our website platform and provider
Message Integration across Platforms
- Posting across various social media platforms
- Learn how to tie in all the various forms of social media
- Resources for connecting website and social media content.
Personal Goals and Time Management
- Create a personal website
- How to manage my time to learn more about social media and to create new content quickly and easily
If you resonate with any of the above goals or would like to add to or comment on this list, please do so in the comments below.